Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Well, this weeked will be busy busy busy. Probably the next week too. I'll probably leave for Maharagama tomorrow, stay the night, interview the master there (some angampora guy who's issued an open challenge to fight to the death with any supposed practitioner of angampora, to prove he's the genuine article). Then, I'll spend the night there, wake up for a 6 am class, then book it to Dewalegama, hopefully arriving just in time to take lessons with my regular master. After class, back to Kegalle and then to Kandy that night.
So, I'll be taking two classes Sunday, and I'm going to try not to let on to either master that I've even been meeting with the other, because I'm not really sure how they would take it. There's a lot of contention about who's got the "real" angampora.
Not really sure what to think of this master in Maharagama. He seems like a really nice guy over the phone. But newspaper articles on him and this open challenge thing make him seem like a reckless egomaniac. I guess I'll just have to meet him and see.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to hear back from the lab on whether or not I have parasites. I guess that's the third world for 'ya. I'm sure I'll be fine though. I've got pills.

Going back to the angampora thing (cause that's a happier topic), angampora is a geek's dream. I'm learning to dual wield swords, yo! Spinning, and jumping, and slashing like I'm some sort of Star Wars Kid (for those of you familiar with that video. Anyway, I'm sure you can find it online.) On the other hand, damn is it tiring! I'm getting in good shape though.

Hard to believe I'm leaving soon, eh?

2 comments:

Blirb said...

I want you to experience all good things that beautiful country has, the encounters, the arts, the wonderful people. I'm so glad you are doing what you are...and you're right about transcendence and the power of humankind, and life in its many forms. The tragedy and the joy, side by side. by the way, I'm REALLY glad you have pills.
Love, Mom

anablog said...

Being the certain geek I am, I want to know the name of whatever the lab tests find. and the name of the pills, too! Are they working?

Do I remember right that the camera does video? Any chance you could video angampora?

yee haaa!