Saturday, September 1, 2007

My first week...Continued

Okay, so to continue...

We started Sinhala class the day after we arrived (and have it every day thereafter except Sun.) We met our host families Sunday. My host mother (henceforth, Amma, Sinhalese for mother) and Appachi (the upcountry Sinhalese word for father) are both nice. My Amma works as an english teacher at a local girls school, and my Appachi does scientific research. They're both on vacation until early Sept.

In any case, we all met our families and had tea. It was a little awkward, but as I said, they're really nice.

Ah, I need to go. More later.

3 comments:

anablog said...

what is your sleep schedule now?
What are the night sounds there? i am hearing frogs, cicadas and crickets right now. And Birdie.

Nik said...

I fall into bed at about 9:30, get up at 6, and have Sinhala class from 8 to 11:15. So far, the afternoon has almost always held some activity, like going to the university, visiting an orphanage, researching for our papers, etc. In the next couple of days, Session 1 (of 3) will come to a close, and session 2 where we have afternoon classes in...Aaah. Gotta go.

Nik said...

Anyway...Night sounds: wild dogs are everywhere in Sri Lannka. They survive by eating garbage or on the scraps that people throw them : ( In any case, I hear wild dogs, frogs, bats (large fruit bats and insectivorous bats), and a whole host of other things I can't identify. Now that we're into the rainy season, the chief sound is rain. Hard rain, all the time. Well, most of the time. Say "hi" to birdie and neo for me! And Roo too of course!