Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Opportunities

I’m getting such opportunities here in Sri Lanka that I often find myself speachless to express how lucky I am. I’m here with a group of 12 students, with an entire study abroad program set up just for us. My art, drama and lit class is with a world renowned poet and painter (Ashley Halpe), and I’m in the class with one other person. He’s trying to organize a get together at his house with his friends and acquaintances: other world renowned poets, painters, writers, and play directors. He’s invited and encouraged us to present something of our own (drawing, poem, etc.). Wow…Eeek! That’s a little intimidating, but SO COOL that we’ll get a chance to meet these people. We’re also going to be meeting the author of this great book we read in the class, and next weekend we’re going to another city to see a play. Halpe’s pulled some strings and we’re going to meet with the director/playwrite for a half hour before the play to get a rundown of what it’s all about. Hells yeah.

I told you about the monk I met on the plane? Well, I finally got up the courage (and the time) to call him, and dropped by last night. I went with my family and spoke with him for awhile. He’s the head of his monastery, and apparently it’s quite rare for someone in his position to be able to speak English. And he’s willing, and happy to talk to me! That I happened to sit next to him on the plane, and that he happened to speak English, and that his monastery is in my area, and that I have the opportunity to speak with him is such a string of fortune that I can’t believe it. One of his disciples from Nepal has offered to talk to me at any time that he’s available. This Nepalese monk teaches Sanskrit at the University of Perediniya.

There’s a history course that I’m not taking, and apparently the prof wrote the book on Sri Lanka. Literally. He’s THE leader in his field, and has a pet PHD that follows him around.

Our dance instructor and drum instructor are the best, or among the best, in their field.

Our material culture professor is friggin’ amazing as well. He’s been recovering from his surgery, but we’ve managed to have a couple of lectures with him, and he’s just been hurling fascinating facts and views at us, putting history, human sociological evolution, and technological innovation into whole new perspectives.

I could go on, but you get the idea. We’re getting individual attention from the giants of the scholasticism, the arts, religion, and all of the other fields we’re studying here. I feel incredibly lucky, and a little small. I’m a good student, but I’m not exceptional. I didn’t beat out 100 other applicants to be here. Yet I’m in the midst of such opportunities that I can’t even express my good fortune in any way other than simply describing the experiences and letting the experiences and opportunities speak for themselves.

2 comments:

anablog said...

WOW!!!! I LOVE it that you are there with such power and presence. And ya know, I think they must feel the same about YOU!

Nik said...

There ARE a doors that open, and a lot of interest is garnered just by being an American student, and speaking Sinhala. Most visitors here are from Germany or England, and most white people here are tourists. So...yay! I get to talk to people I otherwise may not be able to talk to!