Friday, November 9, 2007

Hey, it's been awhile since the last post, because my internet access is uncertain and last time I got to an internet place I couldn't log onto my account.

Anyhow, I'm in to the last third of my trip here: independant study.
As I said before, I'm studying Angampora, sri lanka's martial art. Let me tell you, this month should be a blast. My job is to get in shape and learn a martial art. After that, I can cook up some 15 page paper justifying it. Yay!
Also, who knows what quacky stories will pop out of this month. My teacher...well where to begin.
He seems to have an obsession with Chuck Norris for one. During our first private lesson, Chuck Norris became a topic of conversation on two entirely separate occasions. Also, he may or may not use a frayed electrical cord for a weapon (upon second inspection, I think its either for his coffee pot or it's got a dual use.) He was also saying how Angampora has a 10,000 year history (which really has to be off by 7 or 8,000 years.

But then again, what do I know? He's my teacher, and he's teaching me something. God knows whether it's Angampora, or Karate (which he also knows), or what. Anyway, it's good exercise. Each private lesson is 3 hours, and by the end of that my clothes are literally dripping. Sometimes I think that he's just curious how many more degrees he can add to the next spinning jumping kick without me falling in a dizzy heap. No matter though, so far it's been a blast.

More later. I've got to go meet my Amma in town.

5 comments:

Blirb said...

Hey buddy,
Be sure to travel a bit (to safe places) and go back to that lovely place with the tea and lovely views (sorry, I can't spell it!). I hope the next 4 weeks are the best of your time there yet! Take pictures! Take pictures of everything...we want more stories!
love ya, --Mom

anablog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anablog said...

my taichi teacher told me that it is traditional (at least in China) to test the student's true strength and desire to learn by acting the bad, uninformed teacher at first. I think it is also a test of the student's faith in the teacher's skill and reputation. No matter the judgement, as long as it doesn't hurt overmuch, and better if it is fun and rewarding.

anablog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anablog said...

silly blogspot-- it posted 3 copies of 1 comment, so I deleted 2 of them.