Sunday, November 18, 2007

Weekly Insect Update

Is a bit of a misnomer, since I don’t really give updates weekly. Regardless, if I were a biologist, I’d be sorely tempted to do my independent study on “The Bathroom Ecosystem” because it’s just fascinating.

There are the constants, like the line of small ants that is in constant motion around 3/4ths of my bathroom perimeter. Their path is reasonably constant, but small changes are made on a daily and an hourly basis. They always go past my towel rack and around the shower, but make only occasional forays across the toilet (and on these occasions I’m glad that as a man I don’t have to sit on the ant covered toilet). The other constants are tiny flies (that don’t fly around overmuch, and so aren’t a bother), and the spiders that hang out under my sink, at the base of the showerhead, and occasionally in other places around the bathroom. They have very small bodies, and long thin legs each about as long as a pinky finger. Luckily, the ants, flies, and spiders don’t bother me much at all. I usually leave them alone, and in return they usually let me use the toilet or the shower. It’s a great arrangement.

More interesting is the occasional visitors and temporary residents I get. The spider is the most infamous of these. He (or she) didn’t visit at all for the first month and a half, and then s/he decided that s/he REALLY liked my bathroom, and given the opportunity decided to make his/her self more comfortable in my room. I still haven’t seen him/her since those initial encounters, so I’ve decided to call my spider “Silence,” because as soon as I named it, it was gone. Other transient visitors include the centipede I stepped on (sorry!), the giant cockroach (which I only saw once), and the last couple of weeks I’ve had two giant slug/snails living in the bathroom (who I’ve named Chuck and Chucky). I say slug/snail because I’m not really sure which they are. They’ve certainly got something growing out of their backs, but it’s far from a fully developed shell. I think Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes once described slugs as “giant living boogers.” Well, like the ants, they don’t really bother me. They just cruise around the bathroom most of the time (ceiling, shower curtain, floor, wall, toilet bowl, etc.) Every once in awhile they shrivel up and just stick in one place for a few days. Strange, no?

2 comments:

anablog said...

yes, strange. I KNEW the insects there would be interesting! Do the snailslugs leave a snailslug slime trail?

insects in the bathroom are 1 thing. you've not told us about insects in the bedroom, or in the ( gasp) ..BED.

well?

Nik said...

Well they glide along the walls, so they must secrete something to slide along. I haven't noticed obvious trails though. I've concluded that they're just babies despite their size. I noticed an emerging spiral pattern on one of their back growths, so that must mean it's a developing shell. Those are going to be some huge snails! As for insects in the room, small ants, that centipede I crushed, and some large flying insects that make a lot of noise and tried to mate in my bed. Gross!