Monday, October 15, 2007

Elephant Orphanage

Today, we went to an elephant orphanage in the town of Piniwela. Wow. What can I say about that? The elephants were amazing. There were probably about 20 of them there, and when we went they were bathing in the river. The group included both males and females, grown ups and babies as young as one month. One of the elephants there, sadly, had only 3 feet because it had stepped on a landmine in Jaffna. The babies were really cute though, so it sort of makes up for that sad story.
They were tame elephants, with mahouts to give them direction, so I got to touch one’s trunk. It was really cool. At one point, who knows what triggered it, but the elephants started trumpeting and calling to one another, and gathered around the biggest elephant in the herd. Something I didn’t know before today is that elephants have their trumpeting call, but they also have a call that sounds like a deep, loud, rumbling growl. After visiting the elephant orphanage, we stopped by a place where we payed $4.50 and took a short ride on an elephant. SO worth it.
Unfortunately, my camera was out of batteries, so I don’t have pictures right now. Other people took pictures though, some with me in them. They might show up on the ISLE website soon. I think Sophie and Mom have the website address.

3 comments:

anablog said...

did you find the extra battery tucked into the top flap of the case? but maybe I put it in a plastic baggie in the camera box with all the other gadgets, and you already have it in hand. But wow about the elephants. Granddad Culver collected elephant fetishes, statues,etc, did you know? Do you recall having seen them in a corner glass-covered shelf? He would have loved your field trip.

Blirb said...

Yes, we need small elephants (artistic ones please) for the menagerie of fetishes we have going in our living room...bring some back! how I would love to be there at the elephant orphanage with you! Take lots of pictures! Take pictures of the people, the streets of Kandy, too.

Nik said...

I'll do what I can. Both batteries are out, but I'm going to have to rectify that soon.