Thursday, October 18, 2007

Spider Pics, Independant Study, etc.

Hey folks,


Meet Harry, AKA Muffin, AKA Feast of a Thousand Nights, AKA "HOLY !#$^$%&! THERE'S A GIANT SPIDER IN MY BATHROOM!"


In any case, I've got a much clearer picture, but it goes along with a story that should probably be told in person. This should suffice to give you some sense of scale. Sure, I'm still 200X its size, but hey, it's a spider. So I'm going to be girly about it. I think I've mentioned this in the comments, but I haven't seen the spider for the past 2 and a half weeks. So...maybe it's gone?






In other news, my cut is healing very well. It's actually really amazing how the body can heal sometimes. There was one morning where I had a scarlet slash across my thumb, and by the afternoon, it was skin grown over most of it. Wow.

This Saturday I'm going to visit a possible independant study site. I'm thinking of doing Angampora, a traditional martial art native to Sri Lanka. It was banned during colonial rule, and was taught in secret during that time, and it has only recently resurfaced. I'm not quite sure what to think of it though. Some of the (very few) sites seem like it's a legitimate art, way of life, etc. Some sites seem like the people are caught up in their egos, trying to be manly men, and are only interested in who they can or cannot beat up. I guess I'll learn more soon. Could be really cool!

7 comments:

anablog said...

oh my gawd, it IS huge. I await the close-up so I can try to identify it. Maybe it is gone, yes. But doing what? Maybe it is a girl, and she is ... well. we won't mention the rest of the family.

anablog said...

snakes! tell us about the snakes there, please.

Blirb said...

Yes, and the dogs? Any cats? How about the water buffalo? I agree with Annie, she (Hari Kari) may be otherwise occupied with family matters, and like the rest of us, adores you and will be back with progeny to reside in your bathroom and protect you against.... hmmm. what does she eat, anyway? What is the name for these spiders in Sinhala? I think we need to do a bit of research to assure that you come back in one piece!

Draskireis said...

That's freaking huge. My reaction would be either to run screaming or calmly find the closest thing with which I could kill it (without risking the damn thing actually being able to get at me).

In other news, Happy Birthday!

Nik said...

The Sinhala word for "a spider" is makuluwek. Also, from what I've heard, I'm lucky. There are one or two other varieties of giant spider in Sri Lanka, both of which are jumping spiders, and one of which is venemous. Mine is harmless.

Nik said...

And yes, there are snakes, though I haven't seen any wild ones yet. (there were a couple of snake charmers that want to put on a show and get money for pics though). The more interesting snakes are rock pythons (30 feet long), cobras, and vipers. They're really not too common though.

anablog said...

whoa. skeery snakesss.

I trust you will be careful of the skeery people at your independent study site, too--with the political unrest right there. Do you have an escape plan, a plan B for independent study? I send you visions of wellbeing in every way.

HAPPY HAPPY birthday!