Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hello, my name is...

Sorry I haven’t updated in awhile. It’s because I’ve been having trouble logging into Blogger. That being the case, I’m not sure whether this will end up being posted as a blog or being sent around by the nice people I send it to.

Anyway, lots to say. This is only one of them. More as soon as I have time and a working technological infrastructure.

I finally got to see one of the big spiders here. It was in my bathroom, on the wall, behind the door. My reaction was to recoil, stare for awhile in facination/horror, then go get my camera (rather, Annie’s camera. Thank you Annie!). The spider, to his credit, was pretty chill about the whole thing, and was content to just sit there.

I took a few moments to put the camera on what seemed a correct setting (Pet: dark cat). When I entered the bathroom again, it was gone. Now…if there’s anything worse than seeing a giant spider on your wall, it’s not seeing a giant spider on your wall, when he was definitely there a second ago. I figured I’d used up my bravery quota for the day, and so I summoned my Appachi to find and get rid of it for me. He didn’t find it, so we assume that it left via the window.

Fine. Gone, and no worries. Except that he decided that he liked my bathroom, and decided to stay the night. That worked out okay. Again, he was very still. It was actually good in a way, because I had to stay up late and write a paper that night. Every time I started feeling tired, I opened up my bathroom door, stared at the spider for awhile, and I didn’t feel like going to sleep anymore.

In the morning, I looked around, and he was gone…or so it seems. I actually found him after some searching. Ask me to imitate it when I get back. My reaction was actually pretty hillarious. I didn’t scream, other than that my reaction was comparable to an 8 year old girl’s. Again, got my Appachi, who caught and removed it.

Now, for those of you who are thinking: “Removed? Why not kill it or flush it down the toilet?” First of all, buddhist country. No killing things if it can be helped. Second of all, these aren’t the sort of spiders you just step on. And flushing this spider would be comparable to flushing a chipmunk. It’s just not going to work out too well. In any case, Appachi removed it without incident.

One or two days later, I left my bathroom door open when I went to dinner (I usually keep it latched.) It seems that the spider likes my bathroom, but where he really wants to be is in my room. As soon as he saw the door was open, he must have booked it out of the bathroom, because when I got back from dinner he was chillin’ on the curtain that serves as a door to my room. “Appachi! I’ve got a visitor again! He’s got 8 legs and he’s really scary!”

It’s at this point that I learned the spiders have essentially 3 modes: Chill mode, where it’s motionless, Creepy Mode, where they do a slow, ominious crawl to where they want to go, and Freak Out Mode, where they go really fast. It’s at these last times that you realize that they don’t build webs. They chase their prey down, tackle it, and eat it. No idea what it is they eat though…

In any case, you’ve all got homework. I figure the only way this spider is going to be less threatening to me is if he has a name. Could be either a boy or a girl’s name. In any case, I’d feel better if I could gasp in surprise, then say admonishingly “Oh, it’s only you. Geeze Gary, don’t scare me like that.” Or “Shirly, you know you’re not allowed in the house. Get out of here before I have Appachi throw you out!” Or “Krogax, I call upon thee! Smite mine enemies!” Y’know. Whatever the situation calls for. So yeah, each of you needs to suggest a name for my “pet” spider. Classic, nutty, cute, epic, whatever you think it should be.

12 comments:

Bolendz said...

Hey Buddy,
Given your tissue-eating history with spiders (albeit the tiny reclusive variety) I am astonished at your bravery. We all need your Appachi in our lives it seems. Fearless (I assume), and yet compassionate. I can only come up with one name, which describes both feeling and appearance, while being a bit friendly: "Hairy". He (or she) might spell it "Harry", or even "Hari". And take lessons from your Appachi in Secret Powers. Just in case...

anablog said...

wow! Can't wait for the photo! My name idea: Lego. I assume he or she has quite the legs, and gets to go. Does your appachi know if the spider can bite and hurt you? what kind of spider it is?

Bolendz said...

I think it might be "Leggo", this spider is NOT a toy....

Bolendz said...

I still like Hari. You might add "Kari" if you find out it is a girl. Hari Kari. heh heh heh.

anablog said...

huh. never though of naming my ..er..visitors. the Asian lady beetles are swarming inside again. maybe they are all named $^*!. On the other hand, maybe there is a reason they aren't individually named. let them be the Unnamed Ones, or $^*!, for short. hey, it works. BTW, I don't kill them. i release them into the vacuum bag.

Anonymous said...

You had me rolling on the floor with this story of your new pet, (Maybe you are the pet here not the spider)specially the description of him "helping" you stay awake while you wrote your paper. Maybe you should call him/her Java. Do you think you can bring him home with you? I also think it would be wise to figure out just what it does eat.

Max said...

For strong, slay my enemies goodness: Lazer Wolf. For oh, it's you again: Gary.

Its name for you, however, is probably Feast of a Thousand Nights.

Unknown said...

The Spider story is very interesting and funny. Did you take a picture of the spider yet?

Nik said...

Hey all, thanks for posting (and continue to do so!) I'll see if I can get a pic of the spider up, to help with the naming goodness. I was considering calling him/her Nate, Annie. : )

SK said...

What about naming it something friendly? Lucy? Eddie? Muffin?

anablog said...

Muffin?! Nate?! Gary? all LOL! I still like leggo. leggo of NIK!

Nik said...

Okay, so here's the deal. I think that all of these are great, so he may have to have several names. If I see him in just hanging around, I'll call him @#$^@&!, followed by Hari. If I ever get really comfortable around him, I'll call him/her "muffin", which will be my pet name for him/her. If I need him/her to smite mine enemies, Feast of a Thousand Nights, or Lazer Wolf. Haven't decided yet. Thanks Folks! It may not be necessary to call him/her anything though, since I haven't seen him/her in a week and a half now.