Monday, October 15, 2007

Food

Sri Lanka is a forge for the stomach. From a Sri Lankan point of view, it seems as though if it doesn’t try to rip a hole in your mouth and stomach wall, where’s the fun? This isn’t to say that Sri Lankan food isn’t tasty, or that there aren’t milder dishes. Almost everything has at least a little bit of kick though. My favorite food here is “roti,” which is a flatbread made with scraped coconut, flour, and a dash of saltwater. It’s eaten with jam, butter, or more typically with “lunumiris” A.K.A. Sri Lankan dynamite. This paste like substance is made by grinding chilies together with salt, then adding lime juice and red onions. As long as you like things spicy, it’s actually quite delicious!

Another example of Sri Lanka strengthening the stomach is when I felt nauseous shortly after arriving here, they gave me a traditional remedy of lime juice, with so much salt mixed in that a thick, salty slush was left at the bottom after drinking it. It didn’t make me feel any better. (to be fair though, the tums I had with me didn’t make me feel any better either.)

However, in general I’m growing a bit tired of Sri Lankan food, since almost every meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) is eaten with rice.

2 comments:

Blirb said...

Milk. That is what helps (too late, you're already used to it!). I'm not sure coconut milk will do, however. Buffalo milk?
Food!!! near and dear to my heart, have you found any greens? are you eating nuts? tell me about the fruit, it must be so delicious!

Nik said...

The fruit IS delicious. I eat fresh papaya and mango regularly, and fresh pineapple...WOW.